Words starting with con- and ex-
the same way. Two which you can rely upon at the
start of words are con- and ex-. Look at the focus words
and you will see five examples of each.
Complete the following sentences by using con- or ex-
to fill in the gaps:
1. The hills seemed to ___tend for ever.
2. The Queen ___gratulated the ___plorer on the success
of the ___pedition.
3. It's no ___aggeration to say that physical ___ercise
leaves me totally ___hausted.
4. The firemen ___tinguished the flames with ___siderable ease.
5. We are seeking someone with ___cellent ___amination
results, ___perience of dealing directly with ___sumers,
and an ability to organize ___hibitions.
6. She ___sidered the ___tra ___pense of ___tinuing
the course for a further year an unnecessary
___travagance unless her parents were willing to ___tribute
to the cost.
7. ___centrate on syllables and you will soon become
a ___fident speller.
8. We hadn't realized we were in ___treme danger until the
coastguard ___tacted us.
Now memorize the focus words and test yourself on them